Weddings at All Saints’ and St Mary’s

Below is some information to help in your planning. We will also invite you both to a Marriage Preparation course (Friday evening and Saturday, usually in March) using material from Care for The Family, called ‘Marriage by Design’. Attendance is not compulsory but is highly recommended by those who have taken part in the past!

Are you old enough?
If you are under 18 years old you will need your parents’ consent to marry and by law you cannot be married in the UK until you are 16.

Do you live in the parish?
Milford on Sea, Everton, Keyhaven and Lymore or

are you on the Church Membership (Electoral) Roll?
worship regularly for 6 months  and have been baptised or

do you have a qualifying connection?  You can marry in a CofE church if you can show:
that one of you: 

  • has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
  • was baptised in the parish concerned or
  • was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
  • has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

that one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

  • has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
  • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

that one of your parents or grandparents:

  • was married in the parish

Reading of Banns
Most Church of England marriages will require banns to be published before the wedding can take place.  If there is not enough notice given for the banns to be read before the marriage is due to take place, or in the case of the marriage of people whose nationality is not British, or if one or both of you do not live in England, it is recommended that the Licence procedure be used rather than banns. This is especially recommended if there is any doubt as to the legal requirements of the home country of a non-British person for recognition of an English Church marriage.

A Common Licence replaces the need for banns. The vicar will let you know if you need one.

If you already have a legally-recognised connection to the church where you’re getting married, a Common Licence application is usually straightforward and the vicar will guide you on this. If you don’t have one of the connections with your marrying church, and don’t have time before your wedding to create one, applying for a Special Licence may be suggested, depending on your circumstances. The Vicar will be able to advise.

Guidelines for those who have been divorced

There are special guidelines on marriage in church if you are divorced. There may well be a way forward, but you will need to talk to the Vicar about your situation to explore the possibilities for you.

Information taken from Your Church Wedding – the Church of England’s weddings website. You will find all this and much more here

At All Saints’ and St Mary’s we can offer:colour107

  • Wedding service taken by a Church of England minister – fees set by the Church of England

In addition, we can offer the services of:

  • Organist to provide a musical accompaniment to your service. S/he will help you choose hymns/songs and other music.
  • Choir to support the singing and possibly provide music during the signing of the registers.
  • Bell ringers – celebrate your marriage with bells ringing out across the village! (only at All Saints’)
  • Flower arranging team can provide arrangements to enhance the beauty of the building, from pedestals to pew ends and even decorating the lych-gate!
  • Verger who will help your ushers with practical aspects of the service – service cards, where guests sit etc.

colour122There are separate fees for all of these – please check with the office for current rates.